Tuesday 19 April 2011

SHL Journal - Countdown to Durian Fest Part 2

The Durian Fest will be a "house-warming" of sorts - the second anniversary since I started the development of the farm and marking the completion of the house - a time to celebrate with my family and friends.
Entrance to the solat area in my bedroom
Two weeks seems to have flown.  The construction job is still underway and substantial progress have been made, albeit sometimes it seems to take a bit longer as I add some "beautifying" elements to it.  I am looking forward to the completion of my bedroom as then I can move out of the solat room to a proper bedroom.  It will be divided into 4 areas - ruang solat, sleeping area, bathroom and closet/dressing room.  There will also be a door leading to a patio area when I can just imagine myself enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning at sunrise.  
The walls are up and the base for the roof is being constructed before the roof tiles can be laid along with the "sun roof" so that during the daytime, there will not be any need to turn on the lights.  After all we are living in the tropics where natural light is available almost 12 hours of the day - save energy.  Two other rooms will also be added - one for Aziz and Seri, my great assistants who live on the farm all the time and the other, a guest room along with another bathroom.
From the main front gate
In front of the house
The road leading from the front gate to the front door has also been completed.  So for those who came last year and were worried if their car can be driven on the property, you will not have to worry anymore.  The portion in front of the house has also been widened to about 20ft so that should provide for some parking spaces.  All in all, a major improvement for vehicle access.  Now all that is left to do for this part is the beautification process and to build additional porch so my dear van can be protected from rain and sun.  In the plan, is to do the road on the outside leading to the "smaller" gate but I do not know if there will be sufficient time to get this done as there are many more things to be done before the event.
Rezeki Timur area
The front "garden" also known as Rezeki Timur, has also undergone its major cleanup - now I need to maintain and fertilize to keep it nice with healthy plants.  The main plants there are the herbs, bananas, cassava and limau.  I hope they will grow steadily and I will have a lovely garden for all the guests to wander in.  As requested by many who have visited the farm, I am working on creating the "tags" for the plants so that you will know what it is.  I hope from this, people will have a first-hand view of how these plants can be incorporated into their own gardens.  At the same time, they can also know what precaution to take with some of the plants like jeruju and bintang tujuh which have thorns.
The Durian trees in the area are in full bloom, although none in mine as they are still young, so insyAllah, there will be plenty of durians without alphabets for all of friends and family to enjoy.  It is only 3 months away and there is still a lot to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment