Wednesday 19 October 2011

Banana Plants Part 2

My first article on this was more on what the plant is.  Now that I have been at it for almost two years, I have discovered interesting things about this plant.  This plant is one of the most useful plants - almost all its components can be used for one purpose or another as well as being an interesting edible landscape addition.  I am a proponent for natural, organic farming so no chemical pesticides or fertilizers are used on the farm.  I find that going this route does not detract from the quality and quantity of the bananas produced and has the added dimension of being  a healthier food option.

Unripen Pisang Berangan

Of course we all know that the fruit can be eaten in various ways, depending on the varieties and personal preference.  There is no reason why pisang awak cannot be eaten raw though it is more commonly found as pisang goreng or in cooked form.  The dishes that can be prepared with bananas are not limited to sweet forms but also as savoury dishes such as in curries and as savoury banana chips.  By going organic, I find that it doesn't detract from the quality of the bananas albeit it does require a bit more work.  However, the results speak for itself.
The leaves are great environmentally-friendly food wrappers and liners.  It can be used to wrap rice to make lontong, etc.  I personally use it to wrap the vegetable produce for transport to market.  To discard it after it has served it purpose, it can be added to the compost pile and transformed to fertilizer.  While the plant is growing, I cut off the older leaves to create a cooling ground cover at the base of the plant which also acts to increase the organic content of the soil as it decomposes.  With its big leaves, they serve as great sunshades and create a cooling resting place under the tree especially when I need to take a rest from the hot sun.

Almost mature banana,
a few more days to go

In case you are wondering how to figure out when a banana is mature or ripe, especially the green-skin varieties, check out how many leaves are remaining on the plant.  As the banana matures, the leaves will begin to turn yellow to brown and finally drop off.  When there is 3-4 leaves, this indicates that the banana is mature.  In my continuing battle with the birds, this is when I will chop the plant and store them hanging in the house.  Depending on your personal preference, the bananas will be ready to eat in a few days.  With variety that ripens with its skin turning yellow, I always enjoy watching the progress and marvel at it.  One of these days, I aim to photograph the change process.
Now on to the stem and its many uses.  Traditionally, the inner part of the stem has been used to create a tasty curry, a recipe common in Kedah, especially for kenduri in the villages.  I have cooked this dish when I have invited lots of people over for a meal at the farm which I also add pieces of salted dried fish.  Apart from being people-food, it makes a great nutritious food item for my fresh water fish.  In support of being environmentally-friendly, I tear-off strips of the outer layer and turn them into ties which I use to tie around my banana leaf wrapped produce for market and also as plant ties.  No need to worry about recycling. 
The stems also make for a great fertilizer as well as increasing the organic content of the soil.  I chop them up and place them around the base of my banana plant, which also helps to maintain the water content in the soil - an important factor for these plants.  It also helps me keep the farm more eye-pleasing.
I am continuously learning about this plant and its varieties and I am still on my quest for pisang tanduk plant to add to my collection :)

No comments:

Post a Comment