Tuesday 5 March 2013

SHL Red Tilapia Asam Pedas


My latest culinary adventure in the SHL Kitchen was to create my own version of the local dish Asam Pedas.  The aim was to use as many ingredients as possible from the farm.  The fish used is fresh red tilapia and with its firmly soft (is that an oxymoron? I guess most of you know what I mean) and ability to absorb flavors, I thought it would be a good fish to use for this dish.  Next I had some bottle gourd which I felt would also be a great vegetable to add to this dish as it can absorb the flavors of the Asam Pedas.  I also used vine-ripened tomatoes to have that slight sweet taste and a touch of sourness.The herbs used in this dish was also available at the farm so the journey began.  The ingredients used were:
  1. Cleaned red tilapia (300gm fish size to make serving much easier
  2. Tamarind juice - add more if you like it really sour and less it you just want to have a subtle taste
  3. Red chillies
  4. Bottle gourd
  5. Vine-ripened tomatoes
  6. Shrimp paste (belacan)
  7. Persicaria odorata or known in English as Vietnamese mint or in Malay as Daun Kesom 
  8. Lemon grass or serai
  9. Red onion
  10. Salt to taste
I do not like to use the blender and prefer to use a mortar and pestle (lesung batu) to create a paste of chillies, belacan and tomatoes.  I also use it to pound the lemon grass to be added.  I brown the sliced red onions in oil and add the chilli-tomato-belacan paste to it.  After a few minutes, allowing the flavors to blend nicely, I added the tamarind juice, lemon grass, daun kesom and additional water to create a gravy.  After it is brought to a boil, the pieces of bottle gourd is added.  When this has become soft and the gravy brought to a boil, the fish is added.  Once the fish is cooked, it is now ready to serve.  It is an easy and quick dish to prepare, all in all taking less than 30 minutes to prepare from cleaning the fish to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment