Monday 11 August 2014

In search of seeds and seedlings

I am always on a lookout for good seeds and seedlings and today I finally made it to two places that I have been meaning to go to for years but never got around to it. About a couple of months ago, a good sahabat gave me some seed packets that he got for me from there and it worked out well.

The first stop was Pusat Jualan Benih MARDI in Serdang which is located near MAEPS next to UPM in Serdang.  To get there, you enter through the main gate of MAEPS and at the first Y junction, keep to your right.  Just follow the road as it winds through the grounds and you will see a lake on your right hand side.  About 100m from there you will see Pusat Benih on your left.  The sales counter is on the back on the building.  They sell vegetable seeds such as chillies, bird's eye chillies, aubergines (purple round and long varieties), french beans, long green beans, tomatoes, okra (bendi), angle bean (petola), kacang botor, and sweet corn.  Needless to say, I got them all.  They were priced at RM 2 per packet and the sweet corn was RM 5/100gm which is considerably lower than the packets that I normally buy from Pusat Peladang Bt. 14, Hulu Langat.  They also have information brochures for each of type that they sold. nThey did have some plants for sale too but unfortunately not what I was looking for.

My next stop was Pusat Jualan Pokok of UPM, which is located near Pusat Golf UPM.  Follow the road that takes you to Lembah Silikon and you will find Pintu 14 that has a guardhouse.  Just tell them you are going to the Pusat Jualan Pokok.  After you enter the gate, about a few hundred meters you will come to a roundabout and take the left or 9 o'clock.  Follow the road and just after you pass under a bridge, you will see it on your right hand side.  I was happy that I made the trip as I found the plants that I was looking for - kafir lime (lima purut), soursop (durian belanda), delima, tenggek burung, pulasan, and keladi mawar also known as keladi hitam.  They also had different varieties of cempedak, rambutan, turmeric (kunyit) and jackfruit (nangka). With these plant purchases to add to the number of plants and trees that I already have, I am done with my list of trees for now and the farm will have all the trees and with the quantity that I want and the tree planting areas will be maxed out.  The prices were also reasonable.

To go to these locations, I suggest that you go in the morning before 12 noon to avoid the lunch break as well as the hot afternoons.

So, you can guess what I will be doing tomorrow - transplanting the plants in the location that I want and if I have more time, to sow some seeds in the greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment