Tuesday 12 June 2012

SHL Aqua Project: Jannah Part 5

Three and a half month after start of the renovation of the ponds, fresh, clean river water began flowing from near the source.  I love hearing the water gushing into the pond and before the fishes were placed in the pond, I did my own initiation of the pond - sitting under the water pipe.  The force of the water is powerful and I had to plant my feet into the base of the pond to prevent from toppling over.  The water felt almost cold and definitely clean.  I had a back water massage and it felt heavenly.  I am currently figuring out a plan to make this water inflow an aesthetically pleasing feature - maybe a waterfall or a series of fountains - I have time to work on this.
Once the water had filled to a steady level and began to flow out to the river, I deemed it ready to begin its function as my fish "river" pond.  After much contemplation, the decision was made to focus on two types of fish for this first round: red tilapia and catfish (keli).  The pond is divided into 2 parts with the area for the tilapia measuring approximately 10000 sq. ft and the area for the catfish measuring 3000 sq ft.  The tilapia pond is shaped like a river as I had retained the original shape which was based on the natural contour of the land.  Over the months of renovation, vegetation had begun to grow in this section of the pond.  Even my pair of geese, Emir and Siti, enjoy swimming in it.  I enjoy watching them, expecially in the later part of the afternoon as the sun is setting - it is so relaxing.

I introduced the first batch of 3,000 baby red tilapia on June 1 and it was a joy to watch them swimming in the pond.  Over the next few days, I observed its condition and also to ascertain the capacity of the pond.  A week later, I added another 7,000 baby red tilapia and now I can see that the pond is populated.  They play hide-and-seek between the vegetation as well as nibble on them. 

The pond for the catfish is has a concrete base as well as walls hence making it much easier to harvest.  If I had retained an "earth-based" pond floor, it would have made harvesting a challenge since they tend to burrow in the ground when the water level is at floor level.  The 5,000 baby catfish was introduced into their new home on June 8 and it looks like the pond can support another 5,000.  The plan is to add them this Friday.
I feed them 42-44% protein fish pellets - the smallest size. They are fed twice a day. I have noticed their growth which I attribute to both the feed, the availability of natural food as well as the water.  I love feeding times, watching them rush to the surface to gobble up the food, although the tilapia doesn't have a feeding frenzy like the catfish and this I attribute to the fact that the tilapia has the natural vegetation to nibble on.  I also feed the fish occasionally other plant-based food and this will remain as my secret feed ingredient.  For me, it is important to keep the water as clean as possible hence you will not find carcasses of chickens or goats thrown in nor will the sewer waste be piped into the ponds.  All these factors will ensure that I will have great tasting fish, without the muddy or "funny" taste and this I have learnt from my proof-of-concept phase.  I also want to ensure that the ponds do not emit any foul odors so that I can enjoy the environment of the farm to the maximum.
InsyAllah, the first harvest of the catfish will occur in late August or early September 2012 whilst the red tilapia in October or November 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment