Thursday 5 May 2016

Balancing Act: Cool trio for health

Part of the joy of gardening is being able to harvest produce for my table.  I always like to looks for easy-to-grow and low-cost but with high health benefits plants.  Amongst my mission is to go local, find combinations that we Malaysians can have without spending a fistful of ringgit.  On top of that, it must also taste good otherwise how will I enjoy eating it?  I suggest that you avoid those that grow in chemical loaded environments like the roadside and drains but stick to those grown organically or in clean environments.

This trio: Peperomia pellucid (Ketumpang Air or Sireh Cina), Wild Purslane (couldn't find the Malay name for it) and Centella Asiatica (Pegaga) are all local and easy to grow.  They can be grown in containers and all love water and grow well in moist soil conditions.  By taking a look at their stems, you can get the idea that they require lots of water as the stems are all succulent-like.  They grow well in full sun or semi-shade.

Ketumpang Air  has a slight peppery taste with a crunchy texture.   You can eat the leaves, stems and roots.  Amongst its properties are analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer.  The one thing I love about this plant is the uric acid cleansing properties so when I eat beef or prawns (both items that I love), I like to make sure that I also eat this that day.  It is is more for my preventive action from getting gout and joint pains - all related to high uric acid in the body.  This is what I eat for my kidneys, joints, muscles and vitamins.



Wild Purslane taste like lettuce with a crunchy texture.  I tend to only eat the leaves and stems.  Amongst its properties are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and diuretic.  The interesting thing about these leaves is it is high in omega-3-fatty acids so it is a good choice for vegetarians as well.  This plant can serve as a much cheaper option for source of these good fatty acids, at a fraction of the cost of fish with its sky-rocketing price.  This is what I eat for my heart as well as preventing high blood pressure and vitamins.


Pegaga has a mild spicy taste with crunchy leaves.  I eat the leaves, stems and roots.  Amongst its properties are  antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant and cognitive-enhancing.  An interesting aspect of the leave is it contains elements that help increase the rate of collagen production as well as slow down the breakdown of collagen.  What this means to me is it will help in keeping my skin "tight".  What a blessing - something natural and low-cost for my skin care something that almost all my female friends would appreciate and also men who care about their skin and looking "younger".  This is my skin care as well as all the vitamins.

Eaten it its raw form is what I like best and it gives me the added benefit of fiber.  So at the end, is there any reason why not to eat these leaves?  Eat in moderation and may we all enjoy the plentiful benefits without having to spend big "bucks" in supplements and can avoid drugs to treat a condition. I have not covered all the benefits but just the ones that are of interest to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment