Tuesday 8 March 2011

Eating Well - Fresh Water Fish

I am a firm believer that fish shouldn't be fed carcasses of goats, chicken innards and other animal wastes as this will affect both the quality and taste of the fish.  My previous experiences of tasting keli and other fresh water fish had left me with an unfavorable memories.  Upon doing some research on what was fed to the fish and the water condition, it was no wonder that I do not enjoy the taste.
I decided to embark on my own journey of breeding and growing fresh water fish based on similar principles that I apply to my agricultural activities - going as natural as possible.  Hence began my adventures in aquaculture.
Pumping water for flushing
To begin with, utilizing the natural contour of the land as a basis, I deepened and widened the dried-up streams, following its flow, thus creating fish ponds that look like a small river on the farm.  The pond bottoms are not cemented but have a high content of sand, which was uncovered during the excavation process.  With the constant feed of water from clean upstream stream, the water quality is good and does not emit a noxious smell that is often associated with stagnant ponds.  Every quarter, I would do a major flush, pumping water from Sg. Lui into the pond, in effect renewing the water.
I use fish pellets that do not have land animal content in them, supplementing it with vegetation such as tapioca shoots and keladi shoots, to feed the fish.  Alhamdulillah, with the source of the water being from a nice clean river, there are also lots of small fresh water shrimps which the fish also happily consume.  These shrimps have taken residence in the pond so they continue to breed in there providing an on-going source of natural food for the fishes.
I am happy that my guests for Aidil Fitri 2010 open house gave favorable reviews on the taste of the fish.  For now, I have not put the fish on the market as I would like to increase the population as well as letting them grow to a good size of about 800g to 1 kg per fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment