Thursday 10 March 2011

Edible Landscape - Bayam (Spinach)

Lovely vivid green leaves
One of my favourite leafy vegetable, the Bayam ( Spinach), provides for a nice backdrop of a green, leafy bush.  I avoid chemical pesticides like the plague for all my vegetables so the leaves tend to be less than perfect but I wouldn't trade it for the quality and taste that is produced by being as natural as possible, using organic fertilizer such as from my compost or "burnt" weeds.
By frequent harvesting, it can grow into a nice bush.  To propagate it, allow for the cluster of flowers to bloom and produce its seeds.  With daily watering, and planted in a nice sunny location, the plants will produce leaves in abundance.  When harvesting, cut with care to ensure that you encourage new shoots.
As these spinach are pesticide-free, I love to have them in salads.  There is a natural "sweetness" to it and it is the best way to get all the nutritional value of this vegetable.  My other favourite is just to quick stir-fry with garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment