Friday 18 May 2012

Kerinci Expedition: Bawang Prai

Driving through the farming land of Kerinci, I saw quite a few plots of onions being planted and amongst them was a type that I wasn't familar with, Bawang Prai.  Apparently the leaves are popular here as ulam and also in cooking.  The taste is blander than the regular onion leaves and the size is also larger.
In my research on this onion, I found study references that linked the benefits of consuming these leaves to reducing your blood pressure due to one of its nutrients, Organosulfides.  Most of the references I found were published by Indonesians with quite a few recipes.  As the weather at the farm is similar to Kerinci, I decided that I would to obtain starter plants. 
So, as were touring the agricultural area, I was on the lookout for plots that had this where there was someone there that I could buy it from.
Lo and behold, I spotted a plot as were drove and had the driver reverse back once I noticed that someone was there.  He was busy clearing the weeds and grass around the plants and I noticed that the cangkul handle was interesting,  The top end was angled, making it easier to work with.  Most of the handles that I find here are not so angled, just slightly.  I made a mental note that I need to find this type of handle.
Taking a closer look at how it was planted and the soil, I found that it was planted in approximately 1' beds and 1' apart all around, and the soil, as with many of the other planting plots, was almost black and with high humus and organic content.  The normal rain waters the plants.  With the cooler nights, condensation occurs resulting in water droplets being absorbed into the soil.  Hence no irrigation is required as the soils ia able to retain the right amount of water to keep the plants growing.  Due to the quality of the soil, no other fertilizer is required.  Note to self: need to increase the humus and organic content to the soil as from my observations, this is the main reason why the plants grow so well.
I bought about 10 bunch of plants for IDR 5000 (less than RM 5) and kept the roots moist to take it home with me.  So first order of the day when we got back was to try it - raw of course, to get a full taste of it - and I find that I liked it.  It doesn't have as strong an odor as the onion leaves that we get here and I look forward to planting the remaining 15 bunch and producing these.  I think that many people who try it will like it and there will be a demand for it at the Sunday market especially for those of Indonesian descent,  For those who have high blood pressure, here is another item to add to your normal meals without feeling like you are taking medication but just enjoying a "vegetable" in your meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment