Thursday 24 May 2012

SHL Project: Aqua Jannah Part 3

The creation of the third pond is taking longer than I expected.  Between the frequent rains and additional modifications that I decided to have done, it has added an extra month.  However, since my preference is to do it right the first time, the additional time is inconsequential in the realm of thing.
One of the features that I like about this project is the connection holding pond between the second and third pond with its bridge.  This holding pond has a concrete floor with high steps along the side.  The bridge is about 10' long and almost 3' wide, allowing a nice area for relaxing.  Plus, it enables me to cross-over to the other side with my wheelbarrow.  There is still some finishing work to be done to the railings of this bridge.
The third pond also has a conrete floor and walls surrounding it and measures approximately 30' x 100'. 
The walls is being built similar to the holding pond, with steps.  It will serve as a barrier against soil erosion along the sides of the pond as well as a retainer barrier against river.  The depth of this pond is below the water line for Sg. Lui, which is just over the small hill.  Hence the separation between Sg. Lui and this pond is just about 20'.  I wanted to be able to totally dry out all the ponds  at each harvest which would have been impossible if this pond didn't have a concrete base.  The insides of this pond will be plastered.  One could say that once this pond is done, it will resemble a swimming pool but with lots of fish swimming around. 

With all the rains, the first and second pond have begun filling with water and the level seems to remain at 1'.  Grass, water lilies and various types of keladi have begun growing in there and I will leave it there when I start releasing water into it.  This will serve as additional food for the fishes and helps with the conditioning of the ponds.  There are other refinement works that I want to do to the ponds but I will defer this until at least one harvest.  By this weekend, we will begin to fill up the ponds, the first since the renovation and upgrading works.  I look forward to this happening and seeing the water level.  If all goes well, by June 1, I will be able to release about 60,000 baby fishes, insyAllah.  It will be exciting for me :).

No comments:

Post a Comment